In basic research we primarily focus on the following topis:
- basic principles of the organization of Roma/gypsy populations;
- analysis of kinship systems (mainly analysis of the character of kinship networks and relationships in Roma/gypsy populations);
- issues concerning “compatriot communities” abroad (namely the mechanisms of creating and transforming national, religious and territorial identifications) and immigrants returning from these diasporas;
- study of the linguistic, conceptual and political practices connected with the application of ethnic and national “identities” in the context of contemporary complex societies;
- research into the issue of urban marginalized populations.